Subject: World Construction Set (was re: World Builder)
From: [email-masked] (Jamie Krutz) ()
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 12:39:58 -0500

> On Thu, 4 Jan 1996 Jason Hough <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > On Wed, 3 Jan 1996 [email-masked] wrote:
> > > Has anyone heard of the progroam World Builder?  I saw it's add in 3D Design
> > > magazine and it looks great.  It costs about $1000 though.  Anyway, how does
> > > it compare to World Construction Set?

I haven't played with WBuilder, but from what I've read WB runs on MSDOS. 
World Construction Set runs under AmigaOS (V1 and V2-prerelease shipping 
now) and NT (render engine very close to shipping, full program coming later). 
WCS NT support includes Intel-based and DEC Alpha computers. WBuilder 
might be coming to NT but I'm not sure. 

World Construction Set has several features that directly support integration with 
Lightwave, while AFAIK WB does not offer such features.

World Construction Set has extensive animation support of motion, ecosystem
and color parameters, including graphically editable spline-based key frame 
animation with tension, continuity and bias control (much like Lightwave); I don't 
know what kind of animation features are in WBuilder.

I've seen excellent images from both programs. World Construction Set is a 
comprehensive graphic information system (GIS) based program, while WB 
seems to be focused on a certain subset of  landscape creation.

> > Having not used either of them, I'm no expert, but from what I understand 
> > WCS is better for "far away" landscape views, and for direct LW exports, 
> > etc. WB is better for "close-up" stuff like trees and blades of grass, 
> > but way to heavy on the polygon count for far-away type backgrounds.

While that was the case for World Construction Set V1, WCS V2 has a new 
class of 3D-shaded trees (user customizable) that looks great both in close-up 
shots and panoramic views. WB apparently has particle grass that can move in 
the "wind," although the trees don't move. (for WCS you can do foreground 
waving particle grass in Lightwave if you like). Aside from that, both can do 
great closeups, and the distant mountains will look better in WCS. I don't believe 
WBuilder can render the whole planet, or even knows the earth is a sphere, 
however World Construction Set does everything based on an accurate 
spherical planet and can render the entire earth. 

World Construction Set V2 also adds new features like 3D evolving clouds; a 
new form of fractal rendering for better detail with faster rendering times; 
realistic stratification in rock formations; the sun and moon in the sky; and 
waves, breakers, and accurate reflections on the water with automatic 
beaches and even support for tides.
 
> > I still use KPT Bryce on the Mac for backgrounds when I just need a still 
> > frame.